Self organization, also called (in the social sciences) spontaneous order, is a process where some form of overall order arises from local interactions between parts of an initially disordered system. The resulting organization is wholly decentralized, distributed over all the components of the system. As such, the organization is typically robust and able to survive or self-repair substantial perturbation.
Self Organization Systems
- Open Participatory Organization (OPO) - Open Participatory Organization (OPO) is an open architecture that is supported by a participatory communications platform and is backed-up by a governance that evolves as the organization evolves.
- Holacracy - A method of decentralized management and organizational governance, which claims to distribute authority and decision-making through a holarchy of self-organizing teams rather than being vested in a management hierarchy. Holacracy has been adopted by for-profit and non-profit organizations in several countries.
- The Responsive Organization / Responsive OS
- Teal Organizaton - An organizational theory that advocates enabling workers' self-management and to adapt as an organization grows.
- Platform Cooperatives - Businesses that use a website, mobile app, or protocol to sell goods or services, relying on democratic decision-making and shared ownership of the platform by workers and users.
- Second-Order_Cybernetics - The recursive application of cybernetics to itself and the practice of cybernetics according to such a critique.
- Sociocracy - Sociocracy, also called dynamic governance, is a system of governance which seeks to create psychologically safe environments and productive organizations. It is distinguished by the use of consent, rather than majority voting, in discussion and decision-making by people who have a shared objective or work process.
- CRiSP Governance - Continuously Restarting its Starting Position
- SEEDS - A decentralized financial system based on regenerative values, governed directly by the citizens focused on financing self-organizing projects and communities.
- Sociocracy For All - A nonprofit bringing soiocracy to the world
- Platform Cooperativism Consortium - A hub for research, community building, and advocacy for co-ops that make the digital transition.
Self Organization Tools
- Sensemaking - A process by which a large population of people are able to give meaning to their collective experiences, referred to as story-based or narrative-based assessment.
- Sensemaker - Sensemaking tool to create a narrative-based repository of insights and learning
- Leading from the Emerging Future: From Ego-System to Eco-System Economies - Applying Theory U to transforming society
- Collective Presencing - An emergence framework by Ria Baeck that collapses the 7-step Theory U process as non-linear present being
- APP Associates International - Online hub for professionals applying open participatory practices in organizations
- Nestr - Self organization collaboration tool for purpose-driven organizations